Definition of Glaucomys
1. Noun. New World flying squirrels.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Sciuridae, Sciuridae
Member holonyms: American Flying Squirrel
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Glaucomys Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Glaucomys
Literary usage of Glaucomys
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1915)
"The subgenus Glaucomys Thomas,* is believed to be of generic rank and the name is therefore used for all the American species. The large Himalayan species, ..."
2. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences by California Academy of Sciences (1919)
"... (JA Allen) T Glaucomys sabrinus flaviventris Howell Glaucomys sabrinus lascivus (Bangs) T Glaucomys sabrinus californicus (Rhoads) T Lepus washingtoni ..."
3. Principles of Animal Biology by Aaron Franklin Shull, George Roger Larue, Alexander Grant Ruthven (1920)
"Thus the range of Glaucomys vola?is is in general the deciduous forest region and is limited to the west by the great plains, and to the north by the ..."
4. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th Series by California academy of sciences (1916)
"Type from Glaucomys sabrinus ssp. ? (Oregon, USA). Also from Glaucomys sabrinus lascivus (California, USA) and G. volons (Maryland, USA). 1915. ..."
5. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller, United States National Museum (1912)
"Subgenus Glaucomys Thomas. 1908. Glaucomys THOMAS, Ann. and Mag. Nat. Hist., ser. 8, vol. 1, p. 5. January, 1908. Type, Mus volans LINNAEUS. ..."