Definition of Haematobia
1. Noun. European genus of bloodsucking flies.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Diptera, Order Diptera
Member holonyms: Haematobia Irritans, Horn Fly
Medical Definition of Haematobia
1. Genus of flies of the family Muscidae. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Haematobia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Haematobia
Literary usage of Haematobia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society by Royal Microscopical Society, London (1882)
"... haematobia.t—J. Chatin states that the ovum is regularly oval, and has a kind of apical tubercle at one pole, a character which is extremely rare among ..."
2. The Prophylaxis and Treatment of Internal Disease: Designed for the Use of by Frederick Forchheimer (1910)
"... (Bilharzia Haematobia) PROPHYLAXIS.—The life history of this fluke is not understood, but there are some practical recommendations made for prophylaxis ..."
3. Saint Louis Medical and Surgical Journal (1887)
"... the example of the head, and so the lower shell, the plastron, must be removed piecemeal." Bilharzia Haematobia.—Dr. WK Hatch, second surgeon to the ..."