Definition of Hawaii Island
1. Noun. The largest and southernmost of the Hawaii islands; has several volcanic peaks.
Terms within: Hilo, Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa
Group relationships: Hawaiian Islands, Sandwich Islands
Generic synonyms: Island
Derivative terms: Hawaiian
Hawaii Island Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hawaii Island Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hawaii Island
Literary usage of Hawaii Island
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Narrative of the United States Exploring Expedition: During the Years 1838 by Charles Wilkes (1852)
"... operations of the Squadron—The Vincennes sails for Hawaii—Island of Hawaii— Mountain of Mauna Loa—Village of Hilo—Ascent of Mauna Loa—Description of the ..."
2. Report by United States Board on Geographic Names, United States Geographic Board (1916)
"Hawaii; Island, at southeast end of group, 134 sea miles from Honolulu ; consists of several ... Hilo; Harbor, Hawaii Island. Hilo; Town, Hilo Bay, Hawaii. ..."
3. The Coming Hawaii by Joseph King Goodrich (1914)
"This is a serious drawback in at least one very important respect: Hawaii Island has not one really good harbour along all of its two hundred and thirty ..."
4. Island Song Lyrics Volume 5by Larry W. Jones by Larry W. Jones (2004)
"Aloha ‘oe to Hawaii Goodbye to my Hawaii Island of sun and brown ... means that I'll return Aloha ‘oe to Hawaii Goodbye to my Hawaii Island of sun and brown ..."