Definition of Holarrhena
1. Noun. Genus of deciduous trees and shrubs of tropical Africa and Asia.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Apocynaceae, Dogbane Family, Family Apocynaceae
Member holonyms: Conessi, Holarrhena Antidysenterica, Holarrhena Pubescens, Ivory Tree, Kurchee, Kurchi
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Holarrhena Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Holarrhena
Literary usage of Holarrhena
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Druggist (1887)
"These seeds, which were at first thought to be a Holarrhena, have now been ... Though the seed itself somewhat resembles that of the Holarrhena or Wrightia, ..."
2. Pharmacopœia of India: Prepared Under the Authority of Her Majesty's by Edward John Waring (1868)
"Holarrhena antidysenterica (Botanical History of). With reference to the confusion which has so long existed between the different species of Holarrhena, ..."
3. The timber trees, timber and fancy woods, as also, the forests of India and by Edward Balfour (1870)
"Thw. En. PL Zeyl., p. 194, Mr. Fergusson. Holarrhena PUBESCENS, Wall. A small tree in Burmah and Kumaon, with timber similar to H. ..."
4. The Vegetable Materia Medica of Western India by William Dymock (1885)
"Wrightia bark is less bitter than Holarrhena. ... When in the Goa territory, I observed that the natives used the root bark only of Holarrhena under the ..."
5. Report by Dr. M.C. Cooke, on the Oil Seeds and Oils in the India Museum, Or by Mordecai Cubitt Cooke, Great Britain India Office (1876)
"Oil.—No sample of this oil in the Museum collection. Holarrhena antidysenterica, Wall. Brandis, For. Fl. 326. Holarrhena PUBESCENS, Wall'; Cat. No. 1673. ..."
6. The Philippine Journal of Science by Institute of Science and Technology (Philippines) (1906)
"G. Don.; Hook. f. 1. c. 663. Echites procumbens Blanco Fl. Filip. ed. 2 (1845) 78. Holarrhena macrocarpa F.-Vill., Nov. App. (1883) 130, non (? ..."