Definition of Howard
1. Noun. English actor of stage and screen (1893-1943).
Generic synonyms: Actor, Histrion, Player, Role Player, Thespian
2. Noun. Queen of England as the fifth wife of Henry VIII who was accused of adultery and executed (1520-1542).
Definition of Howard
1. Proper noun. (surname patronymic from=given names) ¹
2. Proper noun. (given name male from=Germanic), transferred back from the surname. Short form: Howie. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Howard
Literary usage of Howard
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Who's who: An Annual Biographical Dictionary by Henry Robert Addison, Charles Henry Oakes, William John Lawson, Douglas Brooke Wheelton Sladen (1898)
"Howard, Henry CB; British Minister to the Hague sluice 1896; h. ... a. of late Henry Howard, Corby Castle, amid his 2nd wife, ..."
2. Dictionary of national biography by Leslie Stephen, Sidney Lee (1904)
"62 i 28 Howard, Theophilus, 2nd Earl of Suffolk : for 32 July read 14 July 87 ... 256 61 ii 9 fe Howard, Thomas, 3rd Duke of Norfolk : for he joined read he ..."
3. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1916)
"World Outl 2:20 Ap '16 Howard, John Galen, 1864- Country house architecture on the Pacific coast. ... Science n 8 43:733-7 My 26 46 Howard, Wendell Stanton, ..."
4. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1907)
"But Mr. Howard Saunders was a many-sided man, and this Society has to mourn the loss ... Their study was fascinating, and it is probable that young Howard ..."
5. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1903)
"Howard, Eliza Berryman. Two waifs; лг, The autobiography of Christmas and Ocean (a story of ... Howard, Hamilton Gay. Howard's law points to know: a popular ..."
6. Notes and Queries by Martim de Albuquerque (1861)
"Pole, Hastings, Somerset, Howard, Gordon, and Cornwallis. ... Pole, Hastings, Somerset, and Howard. - Pole, Hastings, Somerset, and Howard. ..."