Definition of Islay
1. Noun. California evergreen wild plum with spiny leathery leaves and white flowers.
Generic synonyms: Wild Plum, Wild Plum Tree
2. Noun. An island of western Scotland at the southern end of the Inner Hebrides.
Definition of Islay
1. Proper noun. The southernmost island of the inner Hebrides in Scotland. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Islay Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Islay
Literary usage of Islay
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland by Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (1882)
"But having lately the offer of assistance from Mr. Hector Maclean of Ballygrant, Islay, who, besides having a critical knowledge of Gaelic, is thoroughly ..."
2. Great Britain: Handbook for Travellers by Karl Baedeker (Firm) (1906)
"... omn. from Port Ellen) is a good centre from which to explore Islay. From Port Askaig в ferry plies to (1/2 M.) the island of Jura, ..."
3. The Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland from the Earliest Christian by David MacGibbon, Thomas Ross (1896)
"KILDALTON, Islay. Church, 60 feet long. East end contains two long ... Islay. East end and fragment of south wall of chapel. No window, but two recesses in ..."
4. The Poets and Poetry of Scotland: From the Earliest to the Present Time by James Grant Wilson (1876)
"Thou green, grassy Islay! Why, why art thou lying So far o'er tlie sea? 0 Islay! dear Islay! The daylight is dying, And here am I lunging, And longing for ..."
5. The Scottish Jurist: Containing Reports of Cases Decided in the House of by Great Britain Parliament. House of Lords, House of Lords, Parliament, Great Britain (1841)
"That experiment I was prevented from trying on the Maid of Islay to the extent I could have wished, having to put more into the space occupied hy the former ..."