Definition of Kinosternon
1. Noun. Type genus of the Kinosternidae.
Generic synonyms: Reptile Genus
Group relationships: Family Kinosternidae, Kinosternidae
Member holonyms: Mud Turtle
Lexicographical Neighbors of Kinosternon
Literary usage of Kinosternon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. First Report on the Economic Features of Turtles of Pennsylvania by Harvey Adam Surface (1908)
"... moving freely on hinges and capable of closing the shell tightly. Carapace or upper shell'without keel. Kinosternon pennsylvanicum (Bosc). Mud Turtle. ..."
2. List of the Osteological Specimens in the Collection of the British Museum by John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1847)
"Kinosternon scorpioides. Shell. Tropical America. Presented by JE Gray, Esq. Shell and ... Kinosternon oblongum. Shell and animal, dry. Tropical America. ..."
3. Biodiversity and the Management of the Madrean Archipelago: The Sky Islands edited by Leonard F. DeBano (1999)
"Egg shells averaged 32.75 % of the total dry mass of the egg and were similar in proportion to eggs of other Kinosternon. Four hatchlings captured in early ..."
4. Catalogue of the Tortoises, Crocodiles, and Amphisbænians, in the Collection by British Museum (Natural History), John Edward Gray (1844)
"14, t. 7,f. 1. Tropical America. Presented by Thomas Bell, Esq. b. Sternum lobes narrower than the opening, truncated or nicked behind. Kinosternon. ..."