Definition of Leptinotarsa decemlineata
1. Noun. Black-and-yellow beetle that feeds in adult and larval stages on potato leaves; originally of eastern Rocky Mountains; now worldwide.
Generic synonyms: Chrysomelid, Leaf Beetle
Group relationships: Genus Leptinotarsa, Leptinotarsa
Leptinotarsa Decemlineata Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Leptinotarsa Decemlineata Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leptinotarsa Decemlineata
Literary usage of Leptinotarsa decemlineata
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Mechanism of Evolution in Leptinotarsa by William Lawrence Tower, Joseph Kumler Breitenbecher (1918)
"Leptinotarsa decemlineata X LEPTINOTARSA OBLONGATA. The crossing of these two species has given further data concerning the gametic composition and ..."
2. Investigations representing the departments by University of Chicago, E.F. Young, John Dewey (1903)
"Leptinotarsa decemlineata. Section of the dorsal lamella of an elytron in the pupa, ... Leptinotarsa decemlineata. Section from Same preparation as Fig. ..."
3. Investigations Representing the Departments; Zoölogy, Anatomy, Physiology by University of Chicago (1903)
"Leptinotarsa decemlineata. Section of the dorsal lamella of an elytron in the pupa, ... Leptinotarsa decemlineata. Section from same preparation as Fig. ..."
4. The Next Generation: A Study in the Physiology of Inheritance by Frances Gulick Jewett (1914)
"Their real name — their scientific name — is Leptinotarsa decemlineata, a name too long for everyday use but quite important to the scientist. ..."
5. The Review of Applied Entomology by Commonwealth Institute of Entomology, Imperial Bureau of Entomology (1916)
"[The Colorado beetle, Leptinotarsa decemlineata, Say, and its appearance in the Stade ... This paper deals with the outbreak of Leptinotarsa decemlineata, ..."
6. Elementary Textbook of Economic Zoology and Entomology by Vernon Lyman Kellogg, Rennie Wilbur Doane (1915)
"POTATOES The Colorado Potato-beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata) .— This beetle is in many regions the best known of all the garden pests. ..."
7. IPM (Integrated Pest Management) and Biological Control of Plant Pests by Jane P. Gates (1994)
"Language: English Descriptors: New York; Leptinotarsa decemlineata; ... Colorado potato beetles, Leptinotarsa decemlineata (Say), were selected in the ..."