Definition of Leptodactylidae
1. Noun. New World frogs; in some classifications essentially coextensive with the family Bufonidae.
Generic synonyms: Amphibian Family
Group relationships: Anura, Batrachia, Order Anura, Order Batrachia, Order Salientia, Salientia
Member holonyms: Leptodactylid, Leptodactylid Frog, Eleutherodactylus, Genus Eleutherodactylus, Genus Hylactophryne, Hylactophryne, Genus Leptodactylus, Leptodactylus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Leptodactylidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leptodactylidae
Literary usage of Leptodactylidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Check List of North American Amphibians and Reptiles by Leonhard Stejneger, Thomas Barbour (1917)
"Leptodactylidae (FAMILY) Eleutherodactylus (GENUS) DUMERIL and BIBRON, Erp. Gen., Vol. 8, 1841, p. 620 TYPE: martinicensis Eleutherodactylus latrans (COPE) ..."
2. Ecosystem Disturbance and Wildlife Conservation in Western Grasslands: A edited by Deborah M. Finch (1998)
""Toads" includes all dry, short-legged, hopping anurans that are resistant to desiccation (Bufonidae, Leptodactylidae, Microhylidae, Pelobatidae); ..."
3. Bolivia by Vivien Lougheed (2006)
"... belongs to the Leptodactylidae frog family. It is endemic to Lake Titicaca and was first identified by Jaques Cousteau, the famous French oceanographer. ..."
4. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1868)
"The adaptive ecology of the species groups of the genus Leptodactylus (Amphibia: Leptodactylidae). Evolution 23:421-428. Kinzl, H. 1968. ..."