Definition of Lower Paleolithic
1. Noun. The oldest part of the Paleolithic Age with the emergence of the hand ax; ended about 120,000 years ago.
Group relationships: Palaeolithic, Paleolithic, Paleolithic Age
Lower Paleolithic Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lower Paleolithic Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lower Paleolithic
Literary usage of Lower Paleolithic
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Introduction to the Study of Social Evolution: The Prehistoric Period by Francis Stuart Chapin (1913)
"... the Lower Paleolithic period, the Upper Paleolithic period, and the Neolithic period. Keane associates the Paleolithic, or rough stone age, ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"John Wymer has produced a valuable survey of Lower Paleolithic occurrences from the major part of the Thames drainage. The book combines a cata- ..."
3. Racial Factors in Democracy by Philip Ainsworth Means (1919)
"CHAPTER II THE ORIGIN OF THE HUMAN RACE AND THE INCEPTION OF HUMAN CULTURE A. Lower Paleolithic Times HEN Darwin first laid down the principles of the laws ..."
4. Organic Evolution by Richard Swann Lull (1917)
"... Wisconsin) 50000 " Close of Lower Paleolithic culture Neanderthal man Third Interglacial stage 150000 " Beginning of Lower Paleolithic culture Piltdown ..."