Definition of Macrotis
1. Noun. A genus of Peramelidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Peramelidae, Peramelidae
Member holonyms: Bilby, Macrotis Lagotis, Rabbit Bandicoot, Rabbit-eared Bandicoot
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Macrotis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Macrotis
Literary usage of Macrotis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller (1912)
"Neotoma macrotis THOMAS, Ann and Mag. Nat. Hist., ser. 6, vol. 12, p. 234. September, 1893. 1894. Neotoma fuscipes macrotis MERRIAM, Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. ..."
2. Early Western Travels, 1748-1846: A Series of Annotated Reprints of Some of by Reuben Gold Thwaites (1905)
"... Weather and Want of Provisions — Indications of an Approach towards Settlements — Inscribed Rock — Cervus Macrotis - Volcanic Origin of Amygdaloid. ..."
3. Early Western Travels, 1748-1846: A Series of Annotated Reprints of Some of by Reuben Gold Thwaites (1905)
"... Weather and Want of Provisions — Indications of an Approach towards Settlements — Inscribed Rock — Cervus Macrotis — Volcanic Origin of Amygdaloid. ..."
4. Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta by Indian Museum, John Anderson, William Lutley Sclater (1881)
"... the 1st Expedition to Western Yunnan, 1868. c. The skin of an adult. Tipai Mukh. Lushai Expedition. Museum Collector, 1872. 108. Rhinolophus macrotis. ..."
5. History of the Expedition Under the Command of Lewis and Clark: To the by Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, Elliott Coues, Thomas Jefferson (1893)
"To the same feature it owes its first technical name, Cervus macrotis, given in 1823 by Mr. ... The best character to distinguish C. macrotis is neither ..."