Definition of Nyctimene
1. Noun. East Indian fruit bats.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Megachiroptera, Suborder Megachiroptera
Member holonyms: Harpy, Harpy Bat, Tube-nosed Bat, Tube-nosed Fruit Bat
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nyctimene
Literary usage of Nyctimene
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Specimens of English Literature from the 'Ploughmans Crede' to the by Walter William Skeat (1880)
"... Nyctimene, ie the owl. It refers to the owl seeking her daily hiding-place. Nyctimene was daughter of ..."
2. A Classical Dictionary: Containing a Copious Account of All Proper Names ...by John Lemprière by John Lemprière (1822)
"He died without issue, anil left his kingdom to his nephew Areas, the soil of Calisto. Ana. 8, c. 4. Nyctimene, a daughter of ..."
3. Index Generum Mammalium: A List of the Genera and Families of Mammals by Theodore Sherman Palmer (1904)
"... Kinnlade stehen zwey, in der untern keine Vorderzähne. Der Schwanz ¡d da. lart." See Nyctimene Bechstein, 1800. anzi* ..."
4. The Birds of Wordsworth Poetically, Mythologically, and Comparatively Examined by William H. Wintringham (1892)
"The poets cannot, any more than prose writers, forget the disgraced Nyctimene, who nearly brought about her own murder by the hand of ..."