Definition of Oriental Studies
1. Noun. The scholarly knowledge of Asian cultures and languages and people.
Generic synonyms: Arts, Humanistic Discipline, Humanities, Liberal Arts
Derivative terms: Orientalist
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oriental Studies
Literary usage of Oriental Studies
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1911)
"This work was followed by a large number of oriental studies, made possible by his access to the rich collections of the Bodleian and of Lambeth palace. ..."
2. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1901)
"Rodwell appears to have commencée oriental studies when quite a young man by reading Hebrew with his uncle, ..."
3. Value of the Classics by Andrew Fleming West (1917)
"... in the liberal education without which a creative musician of power can never do his work thoroughly well. 14. Oriental Studies STATEMENT FROM LORD ..."
4. The Life and Times of Cardinal Wiseman by Wilfrid Philip Ward (1912)
"CHAPTER III Oriental Studies 1823-1829 NICHOLAS WISEMAN took his degree as Doctor of Divinity on July 7, 1824, before he had reached his twenty-second ..."
5. Statuta Universitatis Oxoniensis by University of Oxford (1898)
"6. The Examiners in this School shall be Members of Convocation, in Priest's Orders. Add.p.995. § 9. Of the Honour School of Oriental Studies. [1895.] 1. ..."