Definition of Peirce
1. Noun. United States mathematician and astronomer remembered for his studies of Uranus and Saturn and Neptune (1809-1880).
2. Noun. United States philosopher and logician; pioneer of pragmatism (1839-1914).
Generic synonyms: Logician, Logistician, Philosopher
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Peirce Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Peirce
Peirce (current term)
Literary usage of Peirce
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Boston Directory (1862)
"Peirce Warren A. salesman, 32 Winter, boards 112 Peirce William, salesman, ... Bacon), merchants, 50 Water Peirce, sec Pierce and Pearce Peirce's Walpole ..."
2. American Book Prices Current by Katherine Kyes Leab, Daniel J Leab (1903)
"Peirce sale, Henkels', March 27, 1903. (384) $200.00 7452 Mornings in Florence. Being Simple Studies of Christian Art for English Travelers. First Edition. ..."
3. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (1867)
"Josiah Jones and wife Naomi Peirce (No. 30) probably had a family, ... 31), son of Thomas and Naomi (Booth) Peirce, I can learn nothing beyond the date of ..."
4. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1895)
"It WHS proposed to substitute the words, 'Here lies tin' reverend, learned and pious Mr. Jum^s Peirce.' (lay objected that Peirce could not be'reverend,' ..."
5. The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans ...by Rossiter Johnson, Brown, John Howard, 1840-1917, John Howard Brown, Johnson, Rossiter, 1840-1931 by Rossiter Johnson, Brown, John Howard, 1840-1917, John Howard Brown, Johnson, Rossiter, 1840-1931 (1904)
"Peirce (qv ). Professor Peirce's mind reverted later to questions of ... Thomas and Huppy Peirce. He was graduated from Wesley an university, Conn., ..."
6. Education by Project Innovation (Organization) (1903)
"Mr. Peirce was selected by Horace Mann to act as president of the first normal ... Horace Mann could not say just why he selected Mr. Peirce over all others ..."
7. Vital Records of Waltham, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 by Waltham (Mass.), Waltham (Mass (1904)
"Peirce], d. Jonathan and Abigail, Apr. 6, 1759. Ann Lydia, ch. ... Peirce], d. Isaac Jr. and Lydia, Apr. 24, 1813. Mary Mary Mary Mary dup. Peirce" dup. ..."