Definition of Pooecetes
1. Noun. A genus of Fringillidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Fringillidae, Fringillidae
Member holonyms: Grass Finch, Pooecetes Gramineus, Vesper Sparrow
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pooecetes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pooecetes
Literary usage of Pooecetes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway, Herbert Friedmann (1901)
"KEY TO THE SPECIES AND SUBSPECIES OF Pooecetes. a. Larger (wing averaging more than 80.01 in male, more than 76.20 in female); coloration grayer above, ..."
2. Bulletin by United States National Museum, Smithsonian Institution (1901)
"Genus Pooecetes Baird. ... OF Pooecetes. ». Larger (wing averaging more than 80.01 in male, more than 76.20 in ... .Pooecetes gramineus gramíneas (p. ..."
3. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"By the first species rule Pooecetes is a synonym of Zonotrichia Swains., 1831 (see below under Zonotrichia'). Genus Ammodramus. ..."
4. Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio by Geological Survey of Ohio (1882)
"GENUS Pooecetes. Baird. Bill rather large; upper outline slightly decurved towards the end, lower straight. Wings unusually long and pointed, ..."