Definition of Porcellio
1. Noun. Old World genus of isopod crustaceans.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Porcellionidae, Porcellionidae
Member holonyms: Sow Bug
Lexicographical Neighbors of Porcellio
Literary usage of Porcellio
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Monograph on the Isopods of North America by Harriet Richardson (1905)
"Color, dark grayish red with numerous pale, irregular oblong spots intermixed, arranged in two wide series separated by a small interval Porcellio ..."
2. A History of the British Sessile-eyed Crustacea by Charles Spence Bate, John Obadiah Westwood (1868)
"Terminal segment of the pleon broadly triangular, flat above, with the apex acute. Length, nearly cue-third of an inch. Porcellio ..."
3. A History of Crustacea: Recent Malacostraca by Thomas Roscoe Rede Stebbing (1893)
"Porcellio scaber, Latreille, is extremely common over the whole of northern and ... Porcellio pictus, Brandt, is perhaps the same as the earlier Porcellio ..."
4. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1903)
"EXPLANATION OF PLATE XVI. All figures drawn by the aid of the camera lucida X 600. Fig. 1.—Median cell from intestine of Porcellio ..."
5. List of the Specimens of Crustacea in the Collection of the British Museum by Adam White (1847)
"Britain. From the collections of Dr. Leach and Col. Montagu. Porcellio ... Van Diemen's Land. From the collection of Dr. Hooker. Porcellio ..."