Definition of Puffinus
1. Noun. Shearwaters.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Procellariidae, Procellariidae
Member holonyms: Shearwater
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Puffinus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Puffinus
Literary usage of Puffinus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1917)
"Examination of the species thus included and comparison with the species of true Puffinus show that these differences are merely individual variations, ..."
2. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"(Faroe Islands and Norway.) RANGE.— North Atlantic, chiefly on eastern side, south to coast of Brazil; accidental in Greenland.] Puffinus ..."
3. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1897)
"Eight genera of Shearwaters are recognised, the genus Puffinus being found nearly ... Type, P. puffinus (Linn.). In these Petrels the tarsus is distinctly ..."
4. A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory by William Macgillivray (1852)
"Puffinus cinereus. Bonap. Comp. List, 64. Length about eighteen inches ; bill about two inches long ; tarsus two inches and a little more ; tail graduated; ..."
5. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"(l) • We separate, with Brisson, under the name of Puffinus, • Or Puffins, those in which the end of the ... Proc. puffinus, Gm.; Puffin cendre, Enl. 962. ..."
6. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1864)
"Such being the case, I unhesitatingly accord with Bonaparte and Schlegel in their identification of the Linnaean P. puffinus. ..."