Definition of Raphicerus
1. Noun. African antelopes: steenboks.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Bovidae, Family Bovidae
Member holonyms: Raphicerus Campestris, Steenbok, Steinbok
Lexicographical Neighbors of Raphicerus
Literary usage of Raphicerus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Life-histories of African Game Animals by Theodore Roosevelt, Edmund Heller (1914)
"... being smaller than the orbit only in the steinbok, Raphicerus. The bones of the snout are normal in development and arrangement, the premaxillary bones ..."
2. The Encyclopædia of Geography: Comprising a Complete Description of the by Hugh Murray, William Wallace, Robert Jameson, William Jackson Hooker, William Swainson (1855)
"Raphicerus subulata. Awl-horned Antelope. Gerbillus indicus. Indian Gerbil. Hystrix macroura. Long-tailed Indian Porcupine. ..."
3. Exploration and Hunting in Central Africa 1895-96 by Alfred St. Hill Gibbons (1898)
"... (Raphicerus campestris). Like the duiker, may be met with in most places, but is even less ... (Raphicerus melanotis). Fairly plentiful throughout. ..."
4. Exploration and Hunting in Central Africa 1895-96 by Alfred St. Hill Gibbons (1898)
"... (Raphicerus campestris). Like the duiker, "\ may be met with in most places, but is even less i plentiful. ..."