Definition of S
1. Noun. 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites.
Generic synonyms: Time Unit, Unit Of Time
Group relationships: Min, Minute
Specialized synonyms: Leap Second
Terms within: Millisecond, Msec
2. Noun. An abundant tasteless odorless multivalent nonmetallic element; best known in yellow crystals; occurs in many sulphide and sulphate minerals and even in native form (especially in volcanic regions).
Generic synonyms: Chemical Element, Element
Specialized synonyms: Brimstone, Native Sulfur, Native Sulphur
Substance meronyms: Sulfide, Sulphide, Oil Of Vitriol, Sulfuric Acid, Sulphuric Acid, Vitriol
Derivative terms: Sulfur, Sulfuric, Sulfurous, Sulphur, Sulphuric, Sulphurous
3. Noun. The cardinal compass point that is at 180 degrees.
4. Noun. A unit of conductance equal to the reciprocal of an ohm.
5. Noun. The 19th letter of the Roman alphabet.
Generic synonyms: Alphabetic Character, Letter, Letter Of The Alphabet
6. Noun. (thermodynamics) a thermodynamic quantity representing the amount of energy in a system that is no longer available for doing mechanical work. "Entropy increases as matter and energy in the universe degrade to an ultimate state of inert uniformity"
Generic synonyms: Physical Property
Specialized synonyms: Conformational Entropy
Category relationships: Thermodynamics
Definition of S
1. Letter. (Latn-def en letter 19 ess) ¹
2. Number. (Latn-def en ordinal 19 ess) ¹
3. Noun. American Library Association (abbreviation) for sextodecimo, a book size, 15-17.5 cm in height. ¹
4. Letter. (Latn-def en letter 19 ess) ¹
5. Number. (Latn-def en ordinal 19 ess) ¹
6. Abbreviation. (metrology) abbreviation for the scruple (the apothecaries' system unit of mass) ¹
7. Abbreviation. (alternative form of s.) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of S
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: S Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of S