Definition of Saurischia
1. Noun. Extinct terrestrial reptiles: theropods (carnivorous); sauropods (herbivorous).
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Archosauria, Subclass Archosauria
Member holonyms: Saurischian, Saurischian Dinosaur, Sauropodomorpha, Suborder Sauropodomorpha
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Saurischia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Saurischia
Literary usage of Saurischia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Organic Evolution by Richard Swann Lull (1917)
"... Campto- saurus; and (B) carnivorous dinosaur (Saurischia), Allosaurus. One- twelfth natural size. a. acetabulum or hip socket; it, ilium; 1s, ischium; ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"Suborder Ceratopsia. Quadrupedal horned dinosaurs. The two main phyla or orders of dinosaurs have received the rather cumbrous names of Saurischia (Gr. ..."
3. Organic Evolution by Richard Swann Lull (1917)
"They were derived in common with the Saurischia from the ... Like the Saurischia, they too gave rise to aberrant races, which however did not as in the ..."
4. Dragons of the Air: An Account of Extinct Flying Reptiles by Harry Govier Seeley (1901)
"... Crocodilia, Saurischia, Aves, Ornith- ischia, ... arranged in this way show that the three middle groups—carnivorous Saurischia, ..."
5. Bulletin by Geological Survey (U.S.) (1901)
"Saurischia.) 1898 B, p. 68. « Saurischia.) Dollo. L. 1884 B. 1892 C, p. 10. ... Saurischia.) Steinmann and Doderlein 1890 A, p. 661. Vetter, B. 1885 A, p. ..."