Definition of Sciadopitys
1. Noun. Type and sole genus of Sciadopityaceae; Japanese umbrella pines.
Generic synonyms: Gymnosperm Genus
Group relationships: Family Sciadopityaceae, Sciadopityaceae
Member holonyms: Japanese Umbrella Pine, Sciadopitys Verticillata
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sciadopitys Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sciadopitys
Literary usage of Sciadopitys
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Goebel (1900)
"Sciadopitys. The germination in this genus is quite like that of Pinus, but at a later stage it forms its peculiar double needles, not spur-shoots. ..."
2. The Pinetum: Being a Synopsis of All the Coniferous Plants at Present Known by George Gordon, Robert Glendinning (1858)
"Sciadopitys. Siebold. The Umbrella Pine. Flowers, monoecious, or male and female on the same plant, but separate, the male ones terminal, ..."
3. Veitch's Manual of the Coniferae: Containing a General Review of the Order by Adolphus Henry Kent (1900)
"A few years later the great political changes in Japan began, and in 1861 Mr. John Gould Veitch brought home cones and seeds of the Sciadopitys gathered in ..."
4. Forest Flora of Japan: Notes on the Forest Flora of Japan by Charles Sprague Sargent (1894)
"Like Cryptomeria, Sciadopitys is monotypic and endemic to Japan. ... Like the Gingko, the Sciadopitys was for a long time known only from a few individuals ..."