Definition of Sorbus torminalis
1. Noun. European tree bearing edible small speckled brown fruit.
Generic synonyms: Service Tree, Sorb Apple, Sorb Apple Tree, Sorbus Domestica
Sorbus Torminalis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sorbus Torminalis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sorbus Torminalis
Literary usage of Sorbus torminalis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Botanical Materia Medica by Jonathan Stokes (1812)
"Sorbus torminalis. Trag. 1010, repr, in Cord, fol, 170. p. ... SORBUS torminalis. Dale 290. Geoffr. suite Hi. 111. Mill. J<w. 419. Crataegus torminal is. ..."
2. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1916)
"... by others to belong to Sorbus, and by still others to be a hybrid between Pyrus and Sorbus (probably Sorbus torminalis X Pyrus Malus) Ua bush or small ..."
3. Publications by English Dialect Society (1881)
"... is called sorbus torminalis, in englishe a seruice tree. Spartum frutex. Spartium or spartum is not the ..."
4. The Flora of Berkshire: Being a Topographical and Historical Account of the by George Claridge Druce (1897)
"Wild Service Tree, Sorb. Crataegus torminalis, Linn. Sp. PI. 476. Sorbus torminalis, Crantz, Stirp. Austr. ed. i, ii. 45, and Gerard. Top. Bot. 158. ..."
5. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1798)
"Mespilus Apii folio sylvestris non spinosa, seu Sorbus torminalis. Rail Syn. 453. J. HIS tree is most frequent in the north-west and midland counties, ..."