Definition of Squalus
1. Noun. Spiny dogfishes.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Squalidae, Squalidae
Member holonyms: Atlantic Spiny Dogfish, Squalus Acanthias, Pacific Spiny Dogfish, Squalus Suckleyi
Lexicographical Neighbors of Squalus
Literary usage of Squalus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. College zoology by Robert William Hegner (1918)
"THE DOGFISH SHARK — Squalus ACANTHIAS The common dogfish shark (Fig. 358) is abundant in the waters off the coast of New England and northern Europe. Fio. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1864)
"Squalus caeruleus Gill, Cat. 59. specimen sent from New York by Hubert-, and was retained for a ... With the European form, Nardo has identified his Squalus ..."
3. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"(2) Under the name of SquALUs, properly so termed, We include all the species with a prominent snout, under which are placed nostrils neither prolonged in a ..."
4. The Genera of Fishes ...: A Contribution to the Stability of Scientific by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1917)
"LXXVI. LEACH, Observations on the genus Squalus, 1812. WILLIAM E. LEACH. Mustelus Leach, 62; type Squalus MUSTELUS L. LXXVII. ..."
5. Transactions of the Linnean Society of London by Linnean Society of London (1797)
"... of the Porbeagle Shark^ the Squalus ... of Squalus. We lament that fuch copious and elaborate works ..."