Definition of Struthionidae
1. Noun. Tall terrestrial birds: ostriches.
Generic synonyms: Bird Family
Group relationships: Order Struthioniformes, Struthioniformes
Member holonyms: Genus Struthio, Struthio
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Struthionidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Struthionidae
Literary usage of Struthionidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Canadian Journal of Industry, Science and Art by Canadian Institute (1849-1914) (1863)
"... or our knowledge of them so imperfect, that nothing satisfactory could be accomplished in respect to them. The family Struthionidae is distinguished ..."
2. Proceedings by Geologists' Association (1878)
"... Trias) that the modern Struthionidae exist only in lands which are remnants of Secondary continents ; and that as regards all the other wingless birds, ..."
3. Petrifactions and Their Teachings; Or, A Hand-book to the Gallery of Organic by Gideon Algernon Mantell (1851)
"... with thighs and legs shorter and thicker ; its proportions more nearly resembling those of the Dodo, than of any of the existing Struthionidae. ..."
4. Petrifactions and Their Teachings by Gideon Algernon Mantell (1851)
"... with thighs and legs shorter and thicker; its proportions mor,e nearly resembling those of the Dodo, than of any of the existing Struthionidae. ..."