Definition of Sturnella
1. Noun. A genus of passerine birds including the meadowlarks.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Icteridae, Icteridae
Member holonyms: Lark, Meadowlark
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sturnella Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sturnella
Literary usage of Sturnella
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Ibis by British Ornithologists' Union (1901)
"Mr. Chapman has made a careful study of the Meadow- Starlings of the genus Sturnella, which range over North and Central America down to Colombia and Guiana ..."
2. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1895)
"GEOG. DIST.— Valley of the Lower Rio Grande and southern Arizona, and south through eastern and central Mexico to Panama. 501 /.. Sturnella magna ..."
3. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1917)
"This new race is of particular interest in view of the fact that heretofore no subspecies of Sturnella neglecta have been distinguished; but Sturnella ..."
4. The Code of Nomenclature and Check-list of North American Birds Adopted by by American Ornithologists' Union (1886)
"HAB. Pacific Province of the United States, from the Columbia River southward. GENUS Sturnella VIEILLOT. Sturnella VIEILL. ..."