Definition of Suomi
1. Noun. Republic in northern Europe; achieved independence from Russia in 1917.
Group relationships: Common Market, Ec, Eec, Eu, Europe, European Community, European Economic Community, European Union
Generic synonyms: European Country, European Nation
Terms within: Karelia, Capital Of Finland, Finnish Capital, Helsingfors, Helsinki, Espoo, Tammerfors, Tampere, Aaland Islands, Ahvenanmaa, Aland Islands, Maarianhamina, Mariehamn
Group relationships: Europe
Member holonyms: Finn
2. Noun. The official language of Finland; belongs to the Baltic Finnic family of languages.
Definition of Suomi
1. Proper noun. Finland. ¹
2. Proper noun. Finnish (language). ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Suomi Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Suomi
Literary usage of Suomi
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Minutes of the ... Convention of the United Lutheran Church in America by United Lutheran Church in America (1920)
"8060 Value of College and Publishing House $100000 Number of Finns in connection with Lutheran Church outside of the Suomi Synod 30000 Number of Finns in ..."
2. The Finnish Party in Finland and Their Present Programme (1907)
"The Finnish Part}' considers it necessary, that while the first Diet is sitting a bill should be introduced by means of which the position of (Suomi) ..."
3. The Science of Language: Linguistics, Philology, Etymology by Abel Hovelacque (1877)
"Esthonian, or rather Ehde, or Este, is much less widely diffused than Suomi, being restricted to the greater part of the south coast of the Gulf of Finland ..."
4. Minutes of the ... Convention of the United Lutheran Church in America by United Lutheran Church in America (1922)
"The payments of all salaries are made monthly by the Board's Treasurer, the Suomi Home Mission Treasurer remitting the Suomi Synod's portion each month. ..."