Definition of Susanna
1. Noun. An Apocryphal book consisting of text added to the Book of Daniel.
Definition of Susanna
1. Proper noun. (Hebrew female given name) ¹
2. Proper noun. (biblical character) A follower of Jesus (Luke 8:3) ¹
3. Proper noun. (biblical) A book of the Apocrypha. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Susanna Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Susanna
|Susan B. Anthony|
Susan B Anthony dollar
Susan Brownell Anthony
Susanna (current term)
Literary usage of Susanna
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Complete Collection of State Trials and Proceedings for High Treason and ...by Thomas Bayly Howell, William Cobbett, David Jardine by Thomas Bayly Howell, William Cobbett, David Jardine (1816)
"And further confesseth, That after that she had made this bargain with the said Susanna Ed wards, thnt the Devil in the shape of a lion (as she conceived) ..."
2. Cyclopedia of Painters and Paintings edited by John Denison Champlin, Charles Callahan Perkins (1887)
"By Domenichino, Munich Gallery ; Susanna, seated on a step of the bath, ... Susanna, nude, seated near a fountain surmounted by a statue of Cupid, ..."
3. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1900)
"In 1-7-J she went with her sister Susanna to Darmstadt, ... About 1850 Susanna told Mrs. Gaskell that she would like to translate the life of Nie- buhr. ..."
4. The Victor Book of the Opera: Stories of One-hundred Operas with Five by Samuel Holland Rous, Victor Talking Machine Company (1912)
"OO Susanna pretends to encourage the attentions of the Count, ... Susanna: Too long you have deceived nit-; What passes in A maiden dread COUNT: You'll im ..."
5. The Victor Book of the Opera: Stories of Seventy Grand Operas with Three by Victor Talking Machine Company (1912)
"Of the seven duets in which Susanna takes part in the opera, the Crudel perche is the most effective, and Miss Farrar and Mr. Scotti, both accomplished ..."
6. The Victor Book of the Opera: Stories of One Hundred Operas with Five by Samuel Holland Rous, Victor Talking Machine Company (1913)
"OO Susanna pretends to encourage the attentions of the Coun/, in furtherance of the ... Susanna: Too long you have deceived me; A maiden dreads to tell. ..."
7. Publications by Oxford Historical Society (1907)
"when I call'd at her House, an old Bible, in woh some body had writ at Susanna, that some Commentator calls it, fabula Susanna, instead of tht History of ..."