Definition of Sweden
1. Noun. A Scandinavian kingdom in the eastern part of the Scandinavian Peninsula.
Terms within: Gota Canal, Capital Of Sweden, Stockholm, Malmo, Lund, Goeteborg, Goteborg, Gothenburg, Uppsala, Upsala, Lake Vanern, Vanern
Group relationships: Common Market, Ec, Eec, Eu, Europe, European Community, European Economic Community, European Union, Scandinavia
Generic synonyms: Scandinavian Country, Scandinavian Nation
Member holonyms: Swede
Definition of Sweden
1. Proper noun. One of the Scandinavian countries. Official name: Kingdom of Sweden (Konungariket Sverige). Capital: Stockholm. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sweden Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sweden
Literary usage of Sweden
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"In the hotly contested war which ensued Sweden was defeated by the ... Peace was concluded on these terms between Sweden and Denmark at London, 26 Sept. ..."
2. The Cambridge Modern History by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton Acton, Adolphus William Ward, George Walter Prothero, Ernest Alfred Benians (1909)
"The Jews in Sweden owed their continuance there only to the King, who evaded the ... Sweden and Norway were now engaged in hastily cementing the insecure ..."
3. St. Nicholas by Mary Mapes Dodge (1887)
"CHRISTINA OK Sweden : THE GIRL OF THE NORTHERN FIORDS. AD 1636. THERE were tears and trouble in Stockholm; there was sorrow in every house and hamlet in ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"In the hotly contested war which ensued Sweden was defeated.by the ... Peace was concluded on these terms between Sweden and Denmark at London, 26 Sept. ..."
5. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"To meet his obligations, he levied enormous taxes, even in Sweden, without exempting ecclesiastics, religious foundations, or the moneys collected by papal ..."