Definition of Tapirus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Tapiridae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Tapiridae, Tapiridae
Member holonyms: Tapir
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tapirus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tapirus
Literary usage of Tapirus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Additions to the Pleistocene Mammal Faunas of South Carolina, North Carolina by Albert E. Sanders (2002)
"Subsequently, he applied it to "an inferior back molar tooth" that "is larger than in the recent Tapirus americanus" (Leidy, ..."
2. Catalogue of the Fossil Mammalia in the British Museum, (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker (1886)
"MF 3d- Tapirus priscus.—The left maxilla, showing all the cheek-teeth ; from the Upper Miocene of Eppelsheim, Hessen Darmstadt. ..."
3. Natural History of the Mammalia of India and Ceylon by Robert Armitage Sterndale (1884)
"Tapirus MALAYANUS. The Malay Tafir. NATIVE NAMES.—Ta-ra-shu, Burmese ; Kuda-ayer, Malayan; ... General colour glossy black, but with the back, rump, Tapirus ..."
4. Essays and Observations on Natural History, Anatomy, Physiology, Psychology by John Hunter, Richard Owen (1861)
"THE TAPIR [Tapirus Americanus*]. This animal is about the size of a common-sized hog'; and, when seen at a little distance, so as not to see its ..."