Definition of Aedes aegypti
1. Noun. Mosquito that transmits yellow fever and dengue.
Generic synonyms: Mosquito
Group relationships: Aedes, Genus Aedes
Medical Definition of Aedes aegypti
1. The yellow fever mosquito, a species that is also the vector of the pathogen of dengue; characterised by white lyre-shaped markings on the thorax. (05 Mar 2000)
Aedes Aegypti Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Aedes Aegypti Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Aedes Aegypti
Literary usage of Aedes aegypti
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Melancholy Scene of Devastation: The Public Response to the 1793 by J. Worth Estes, Billy G. Smith (1997)
"The aedes aegypti is well adapted to urban conditions since it thrives, according to Klepp, in "small, calm bodies of water.. . such as the water barrels on ..."
2. Biotechnology: Building on Farmers' Knowledge by Joske F. G. Bunders, Bertus Haverkort, Wim Hiemstra (1996)
"... List of pests controlled by each of the 12 plants listed in Table 2: Acorus calamus aedes aegypti, Athalia próxima, ..."
3. Gene Transfer in Animal Systems: Bibliography, 1985-1991 (1993)
"M44 Genetic transformation of the mosquito aedes aegypti by micro-injection of DNA. ... Language: English Descriptors: aedes aegypti; Embryos (annual); ..."
4. Papers and Proceedings of the Surgeon General's Conference on Agricultural edited by Melvin L. Myers (1994)
"... more aggressive biter and a more efficient vector of the dengue fever virus than the yellow fever mosquito, aedes aegypti.12'13 Since the early 1980's, ..."