Definition of Ammotragus
1. Noun. Genus of wild sheep.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Bovidae, Family Bovidae
Member holonyms: Ammotragus Lervia, Aoudad, Arui, Audad, Barbary Sheep, Maned Sheep
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ammotragus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ammotragus
Literary usage of Ammotragus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of Ruminant Mammalia: (Pecora, Linnæus) in the British Museum by John Edward Gray (1872)
"ammotragus. Tail rather elongate, tufted at the end. Forehead concave. Chin covered with short hair, with longer hair ou neck and legs. (Gray, Cat. ..."
2. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1841)
"The whole of the foregoing animals appertain to my subgeneric group Ovis, as distinguished from ammotragus, which latter is characterized by the absence of ..."
3. Recueil de travaux relatifs à la philologie et à l'archéologie égyptiennes by Gaston Maspero (1901)
"Die Spirale, die die Hörner beschreiben, ist normal, dh das rechte Hörn ist links, das linke rechts gewunden, also umgekehrt wie bei ammotragus. ..."
4. Zoology of the Bible by Harland Coultas (1876)
"That in Scripture language the word " cattle" is sometimes used in reference to sheep, oxen, goats, has been already mentioned. (See page 72.) ammotragus ..."
5. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1840)
"The species upon which I found the subgenus ammotragus, has decidedly an Ovine, rather than a Caprine aspect, when •viewed alive: the male emits no stench, ..."