Definition of Arafat
1. Noun. Palestinian statesman who was chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization (1929-2004).
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Arafat Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Arafat
Literary usage of Arafat
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al-Madinah & Meccah by Richard Francis Burton, Stanley Lane-Poole (1906)
"of Wrestling in Prayer," and now Jabal al-Rahmah, the " Mount of Mercy," is a mass of coarse granite split into THE MOSQUE ON arafat. ..."
2. With the Pilgrims to Mecca: The Great Pilgrimages of A.H. 1319, A.D. 1902 by Wilfrid Sparroy (1905)
"This day is named Youm-ul-arafat in Arabic. ... before reaching the plain of arafat, must perform their religious purifications, and, on arriving on the ..."
3. Travels in Arabia by Bayard Taylor, Thomas Stevens (1892)
"On September 12th the pilgrims set out for Mount arafat. ... Between Muna and arafat I saw no less than five men fall down and die upon the highway ..."
4. Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to El Medinah and Meccah by Sir Richard Francis Burton (1857)
"Little thought I that this bravery of attire would lose me every word of the arafat sermon next day. arafat, anciently called Jebel Hal ( \}\), the Mount of ..."
5. Erased in a Moment: Suicide Bombing Attacks Against Israeli Civilians by Joe Stork (2002)
"To President arafat and the Palestinian Authority Human Rights Watch recognizes that ... Human Rights Watch calls on President Yasir arafat and other senior ..."
6. The History of Arabia: Ancient and Modern by Andrew Crichton (1868)
"... at Mecca—Walk to Safra and Omra —Journey to arafat—Sermon of the Cadi—Curious Appearance of the Scene—Stoning of the Devil—The Feast of Sacrifice—Return ..."
7. Syria and the Middle East Peace Process by Alasdair Drysdale, Raymond A. Hinnebusch (1991)
"inside the PLO, Syria saw a golden opportunity to depose the Palestinian leader and reshape a pro-Syrian PLO. Anti-arafat Palestinians led by Abu Musa and ..."
8. Sinai, the Hedjaz, and Soudan: Wanderings Around the Birth-place of the by James Hamilton (1857)
"An Arab Gentleman—Court Equipages—Roadside Cafes—A Foot- Bath—Arab Shepherds—Mount arafat—Arab Travelling—The Hills of Karah—Their Flora—Approach ..."