Definition of Basketball game
1. Noun. A game played on a court by two opposing teams of 5 players; points are scored by throwing the ball through an elevated horizontal hoop.
Terms within: Basketball Shot, Rebound, Tap-off, Tip-off, Basketball Play, Half
Examples of category: Jump Shot, Jumper, Jump Ball, Fast Break, Dribble, Dribbling, Double Dribble, Assist, Technical, Technical Foul, Backboard, Basketball Backboard, Basketball Court, Basketball Equipment, Home Court, Rim, Key, Paint, Center, Hack, Dunk, Slam-dunk, Ball-hawking
Generic synonyms: Court Game
Specialized synonyms: Professional Basketball
Basketball Game Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Basketball Game Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Basketball Game
Literary usage of Basketball game
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Athletic Games in the Education of Women by Gertrude Dudley, Frances Kellor (1909)
"... basketball game between house and day pupils for a cup. School B—Making of records in running, jumping, etc.; basketball game, luncheon out of doors, ..."
2. Completing the Forecast: Characterizing and Communicating Uncertainty for by National Research Council (U.S.), National Academies Press (U.S. (2006)
"... on a lottery with well-specified probability levels) or on a college basketball game where the probability of winning is more ambiguous, ..."
3. The Miller-Palmer High School English by William Dana Miller, Margaret Wilhelmine Oberempt Palmer (1918)
"If you are advertising a basketball game, there are four things that the readers will wish to ... The words basketball game will convey this information. ..."
4. Math, Grade 3 by Martha Cheney (2005)
"16 18 80 Jose scored 2M- points in a basketball game on Friday. He scored 27 points in a basketball game on Saturday. How many points in all? ..."
5. The Line by Shay Villere, Plauche Villere, 3rd (2006)
"I wanted to get on with the basketball game and never engage in telepathic communication again. ... The basketball game ended a few minutes later. ..."
6. Teaching Adolescent Writers by Kelly Gallagher (2006)
"... We Can Move Forward Imagine that your state has passed a mandate that every student in your third- period class must play in a varsity basketball game. ..."
7. Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing and Grading in the Differentiated Classroom by Rick Wormeli (2006)
"The student uses primarily the bounce pass in the basketball game regardless of its potential effectiveness because that's all he knows how to do. ..."