Definition of Battle of leuctra
1. Noun. Thebes defeated Sparta in 371 BC; the battle ended Sparta's military supremacy in Greece.
Generic synonyms: Pitched Battle
Geographical relationships: Ellas, Greece, Hellenic Republic
Battle Of Leuctra Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Battle Of Leuctra Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Battle Of Leuctra
Literary usage of Battle of leuctra
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Historians' History of the World: A Comprehensive Narrative of the Rise by Henry Smith Williams (1904)
"It remained for a Theban newcomer, whom Xenophon does not even mention in his account of the battle of Leuctra, to march into Sparta and prove that her ..."
2. A History of Greece to the Death of Alexander the Great by John Bagnell Bury (1913)
"JASON OF PHERAE; AND THE BATTLE OF LEUcTRA THE balance of power in Greece had been swayed for a hundred years by the two rivals Sparta and Athens ; and now ..."
3. The History of Greece by William Mitford (1823)
"Affairs of GREECE, from the Elevation of THEBES, by the Battle of LEUCTRA, to the failure of the Attempt to extend the THEBAN SUPREMACY over GREECE, ..."
4. A History of Greece by Connop Thirlwall (1849)
"FKOM THE END OF THE WAR WITH OLYNTHUS TO THE battle of leuctra. The, Power of Sparta culminating. ... Battle of Leuctra. — Expedition of Archidamus. ..."
5. The Works of Sir Walter Ralegh, Kt by Sir Walter Raleigh, Thomas Birch, William Oldys (1829)
"The battle of Leuctra, and beginning of the Theban greatness. J. HE Lacedaemonians were men of great resolution and of much gravity in all their proceedings ..."
6. The History of Ancient Greece, Its Colonies and Conquests: From the Earliest by John Gillies (1814)
"Battle of Leuctra. —State of Greece.—Jason of Thessaly.—His Character and Views.—Assassinated in the midst of his Projects. THE emancipation of Thebes gave ..."
7. A History of Greece: From the Earliest Times to the Roman Conquest : with by William Smith, George Washington Greene (1863)
"Battle of Leuctra. §3. Its effect throughout Greece. § 4. Jason of Pherae joins the Thebans. 8 5. Progress of Thebes. § 6. Assassination of Jason. § 7. ..."