Definition of Behavior modification
1. Noun. Psychotherapy that seeks to extinguish or inhibit abnormal or maladaptive behavior by reinforcing desired behavior and extinguishing undesired behavior.
Generic synonyms: Psychotherapy
Specialized synonyms: Assertiveness Training, Aversion Therapy, Desensitisation Procedure, Desensitisation Technique, Desensitization Procedure, Desensitization Technique, Systematic Desensitisation, Systematic Desensitization, Flooding, Implosion Therapy, Reciprocal Inhibition, Reciprocal-inhibition Therapy, Token Economy
Behavior Modification Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Behavior Modification Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Behavior Modification
Literary usage of Behavior modification
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Prison Slavery by Barbara Esposito, Lee Wood, Kathryn Bardsley (1982)
"Brain surgery (psychosurgery), behavior-control medication, electric-shock therapy and behavior modification techniques provide contemporary methods of ..."
2. You Can Choose to Be Happy: "Rise Above" Anxiety, Anger, and Depression by Tom G. Stevens (1998)
"Nevertheless, behavior modification methods using reinforcement and punishment ... Punishment-oriented behavior modification methods can also be helpful in ..."
3. Handbook of Severe Disability: A Text for Rehabilitation Counselors, Other edited by Walter C. Stolov, Michael R. Clowers (2000)
"These techniques have been derived from the field of behavior modification and include covert sensitization and contingency contracting. ..."
4. Minority Health Issues for an Emerging Majority: The 4th National Forum on edited by Shiriki Kumanyika, John Karefa-Smart (1992)
"Methods: A combination clinic-style group participation and take-home behavior modification program based on a review of over 100 smoking cessation programs ..."
5. Health Consequences of Smoking: Cardiovascular Disease: Report of the by C. Everett Koop, M.D., DIANE Publishing Company (2004)
"(25) KEUTZER, CS behavior modification of smoking: The experimental investigation of diverse ... Advances in behavior modification 3: 79-132,1976. ..."