Definition of Behavior therapy
1. Noun. Psychotherapy that seeks to extinguish or inhibit abnormal or maladaptive behavior by reinforcing desired behavior and extinguishing undesired behavior.
Generic synonyms: Psychotherapy
Specialized synonyms: Assertiveness Training, Aversion Therapy, Desensitisation Procedure, Desensitisation Technique, Desensitization Procedure, Desensitization Technique, Systematic Desensitisation, Systematic Desensitization, Flooding, Implosion Therapy, Reciprocal Inhibition, Reciprocal-inhibition Therapy, Token Economy
Behavior Therapy Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Behavior Therapy Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Behavior Therapy
Literary usage of Behavior therapy
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: State of the Science, Best Practicesby James Richard Cooper, Peter S. Jensen by James Richard Cooper, Peter S. Jensen (2002)
"An evaluation of cognitive behavior therapy for hyperactive children. ... Does behavior therapy normalize the classroom behavior of hyperactive children? ..."
2. The Sex Offender: Current Treatment Modalities and Systems Issuesby Barbara K Schwartz by Barbara K Schwartz (2002)
"Psychotherapy versus behavior therapy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. ... Patients' attitude toward behavior therapy and psychotherapy. ..."
3. Cognitive Behavioral Interventions for At-Risk Youthby Barry Glick by Barry Glick (2006)
"See Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) program Detour Through the Wyndom School District (Texas) program, App.A-22 Developmental pathways in interpersonal ..."
4. Value of Psychiatric Treatment: Its Efficacy in Severe Mental Disorders edited by Samuel J. Keith (1996)
"Thus, behavior therapy appeared to produce the highest mean effect size, ... Uncontrolled Studies of behavior therapy Compared to a drug trial, ..."
5. Treatment of Drug Dependent Individuals with Comorbid Mental Disorders edited by Lisa S. Onken, Jack D. Blaine, Sander Genser, Arthur M. Horton (1998)
"Proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of behavior therapy, Washington, DC, November 1989. Sanderson, WC; DiNardo, PA; Râpée, RM; and Barlow, ..."