¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Bilayer
1. a film with two molecular layers [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bilayer Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bilayer
Literary usage of Bilayer
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Harmful Non-Indigenous Species in the United States (1994)
"Using single-channel recording and planar bilayer techniques, Moczydlowski and ... By manipulating the composition of the bilayer, they were able to use ..."
2. Alcohol and the Brain (1993)
"These complexes, composed of proteins, are embedded in the phospholipid bilayer of the membrane. The binding of gamma-aminobutyric add (GABA) or ..."
3. Molecular Neurobiology: Proceedings of the Second Nimh Conference by Steven Zalcman (1995)
"The M2 rod does not form a straight path through the lipid bilayer but bends, or kinks, near its midpoint, where it is closest to the axis of the pore, ..."
4. Thin Polymer and Phospholipid Films for Biosensors: Characterisation with by Torbjorn Tjarnhage (1997)
"Thus, the area occupied by proteins in the liposomal bilayer and in a successfully reconstituted supported bilayer is only about 10% of the total area. ..."
5. Alcohol and Health: Seventh Special Report to the Us Congress by Louis Sullivan (1997)
"It has also been suggested that a certain lipid-bilayer fluidity may be necessary for proteins and other enzyme constituents to function optimally. ..."