Definition of Church doctrine
1. Noun. The written body of teachings of a religious group that are generally accepted by that group.
Specialized synonyms: Original Sin, Confession, Ahimsa, Dogma, Tenet, Ecumenicalism, Ecumenicism, Ecumenism, Immaculate Conception, Immaculate Conception Of The Virgin Mary, Incarnation, Nicene Creed, Real Presence
Generic synonyms: Doctrine, Ism, Philosophical System, Philosophy, School Of Thought
Derivative terms: Credal, Creedal
Church Doctrine Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Church Doctrine Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Church Doctrine
Literary usage of Church doctrine
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1911)
"Upon its vindication depended the right and merit of speculation in theology; to inquire into the realities at the basis of church doctrine, and to create ..."
2. Church Unity: Studies of Its Most Important Problems by Charles Augustus Briggs (1909)
"I shall not attempt to give the church doctrine of ... The church doctrine of the Church is defined in the Creeds, Liturgies and confessional books of the ..."
3. Church History by Johann Heinrich Kurtz (1889)
"The church doctrine of the Hereaf er.—All who had perfectly observed every requirement of the penances and sacraments of the church ..."
4. Orthodoxy: Its Truths and Errors by James Freeman Clarke (1918)
"Definition of the church doctrine. — " The fundamental formula for the doctrine of the Trinity, as defined by the Church," says Twesten,* " is, ..."
5. The Political History of England by William Hunt, Reginald Lane Poole (1906)
"church doctrine. If any hopes of catholic reunion survived parliament, they must have been finally shattered in convocation. ..."
6. The Mercersburg Review by Alumni Association, Franklin and Marshall College (1868)
"THE church doctrine OF THE FORGIVENESS OF SIN. The sense of sin is universal. Not only are all men sinners, but all men feel that they are ..."