Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Clavie Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Clavie
Literary usage of Clavie
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Past in the Present: What is Civilization? by Sir Arthur Mitchell (1881)
"THE BURNING OF THE clavie: CARRYING FIRE ROUND BOATS AND ... which is called the burning of the clavie. No account of this curious cere- ..."
2. The Book of Days: A Miscellany of Popular Antiquities in Connection with the by Robert Chambers (1832)
"Another carries a common herring-cask, while the remainder are laden with other raw materials, and the tools necessary for the construction of the clavie. ..."
3. In the Hebrides by Constance Frederica Gordon Cumming (1883)
"... Souls—Yule—Christmas— The Burning of the clavie—Dread of giving or taking Fire—Festivals in the Pyrenees, the Alps, the Baltic, in Paris, in Edinburgh ..."
4. Curiosities of Popular Customs and of Rites, Ceremonies, Observances, and by William Shepard Walsh (1897)
"The clavie, burning fiercely, is now shouldered by one of the fishermen, ... In this way every street in the village is gone through, the clavie being ..."
5. Folk Lore in Lowland Scotland by Evelyn Blantyre Simpson (1908)
"And what was the origin of the word clavie, or the meaning of the belief ... On Yule night, according to past dating, they make this unique clavie, ie, ..."