Definition of Dental hygienist
1. Noun. Someone trained to provide preventive dental service (cleaning teeth or taking x-rays).
Medical Definition of Dental hygienist
1. A licensed, professional auxiliary in dentistry who is both an oral health educator and clinician, and who uses preventive, therapeutic, and educational methods for the control of oral diseases. (05 Mar 2000)
Dental Hygienist Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dental Hygienist Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dental Hygienist
Literary usage of Dental hygienist
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Mouth Hygiene: A Text-book for Dental Hygienists by Alfred Civilion Fones (1921)
"The dental hygienist must regard herself as the channel through which the knowledge of prevention that the dental profession has acquired is to be ..."
2. Cleveland Hospital and Health Survey by Cleveland Hospital Council (1920)
"There are no facilities for graduate education of dentists. They should be developed and offered by the college. THE dental hygienist In the interest of ..."
3. Supplement to Second Edition of Kerr's Cyclopedic California Codes by James Manford Kerr (1922)
"Such dental hygienist may remove lime deposits, accretions and stains from ... Such dental hygienist may operate in the office of any licensed dentist or in ..."
4. Community Dental Service, Dental Needs and Dental Facilities with Special by Michael Marks Davis, Mary Cromwell Jarrett (1922)
"estimate allows 1500 children a year for a dentist with the assistance of a dental hygienist. The younger the children the less work generally has to be ..."
5. Register by University of California, Berkeley, California, University (1918)
"THE dental hygienist As a result of the mouth hygiene propaganda, wisely disseminated in the last decade, the demand from an enlightened public for more and ..."
6. Annotated Consolidated Laws of the State of New York: As Amended to January by Clarence Frank Birdseye, Robert Cushing Cumming, Frank Bixby Gilbert, New York (State). (1916)
"The regents may revoke the license of any licensed dentist who shall permit any dental hygienist operating under his supervision to perform any operation ..."