Definition of Double crochet
1. Noun. A kind of crochet stitch.
2. Verb. Make by double stitching. "They double crochet the cape "
Category relationships: Handicraft
Generic synonyms: Crochet
Derivative terms: Double Stitch
Lexicographical Neighbors of Double Crochet
Literary usage of Double crochet
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Home Maker by Jane Cunningham Croly (1889)
"... one double crochet in loop of five chain*, repeat four times, one single crochet in treble crochet of last row, five chain, shell on shell, ..."
2. The Illustrated Magazine of Art (1854)
"Make a chain of 12 loops, turn back, and work the 12 : • double crochet. ... 3rd : Work double crochet in each loop all round. 4th : Chain 5, mise 2, ..."
3. Vision: A Magazine for Youth (1893)
"2d round—Work 1 double crochet, 1 treble, 3 long treble, 1 treble, 1 double crochet, all under each of the six spaces of two chain, and join evenly at end ..."
4. The Young Lady's Book: A Manual of Amusements, Exercises, Studies, and Pursuits by Matilda Anne Planche Mackarness (1888)
"It must be crocheted together, by working * a stitch of double crochet into ... For the mouth of the purse, work 2 stitches of double crochet into each of ..."
5. Occupations for Little Fingers: A Manual for Grade Teachers, Mothers and by Elizabeth Sage, Anna Maria Cooley (1910)
"Jacket: Begin with a shell of four double crochet in every third stitch of the yoke, until you reach the first point of the yoke; then make a chain of nine ..."