Definition of Eating place
1. Noun. A building where people go to eat.
Specialized synonyms: Bistro, Brasserie, Brewpub, Cafe, Coffee Bar, Coffee Shop, Coffeehouse, Cafeteria, Canteen, Canteen, Mobile Canteen, Diner, Greasy Spoon, Grill, Grillroom, Hash House, Lunchroom, Rotisserie, Chophouse, Steakhouse, Tea Parlor, Tea Parlour, Teahouse, Tearoom, Teashop
Generic synonyms: Building, Edifice
Group relationships: Restaurant Chain
Eating Place Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Eating Place Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Eating Place
Literary usage of Eating place
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. U.S. Trends in Eating Away from Home 1982-89: A Survey by Eating Occasion by Jesus C. Dumagan, John W. Hackett (1995)
"In 1982,1986, and 1989, the distribution of total eating occasions by type of eating place was fast food, 35.8,39.8, and 41.3 percent; family-type, 23.9, ..."
2. Supplement ... to the Public Health Reports by United States Public Health Service (1921)
"... soda-water fountain, or other public eating place where food or drink Is provided In the city of Providence. Every such person shall be examined by the ..."
3. History of Hall County, Nebraska: A Narrative of the Past with Special by August F. Buechler, Robert J. Barr, Dale P. Stough (1920)
"The Palace Cafe, opened by S. Shindo about twelve years ago, has grown until it feeds as many people as any other eating place in the city. ..."
4. How Workingmen Spend Their Time by George Esdras Bevans (1913)
"Remembering the inclusive character of restaurant as meaning either cafe", or saloon, or eating place without liqours attached, we have in this table the ..."
5. A Treatise on the Theory and Practice of Landscape Gardening, Adapted to by Andrew Jackson Downing (1844)
"Each box is in two divisions, an eating-place and a sleeping-place; the sleeping-place is 8 in. wide, and is entered by an opening in the back part of the ..."
6. Oral and Written English by Milton Chase Potter, Harry Jewett Jeschke, Harry Orrin Gillet (1921)
"For instance, in the compound noun eating place, eating is (as in all these ... If eating were here the present participle, an eating place would mean a ..."
7. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1905)
"... restaurant, or eating place, contrary to the covenant contained In the lease of the said room to the defendant's assignor. They allege that on or about ..."