Definition of Elytra
1. Noun. Irregular (plural of elytron) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Elytra
1. elytrum [n] - See also: elytrum
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Elytra Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Elytra
elytra (current term)
Literary usage of Elytra
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1865)
"In the female, the antennae extend to the tips of the elytra, but the abdomen is enormously inflated, and more than twice the length of the elytra ; wings ..."
2. Transactions of the American Entomological Society by American Entomological Society (1897)
"elytra very pale testaceous, narrowly rufous along the suture to behind the ... Head small, narrower than the thorax at apex: elytra with a submarginal pale ..."
3. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1897)
"elytra parallel, elongate, truncate at tip, front of head with transverse impression, ... elytra narrowed from the base 18. 18. Tips of elytra deeply ..."
4. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1876)
"elytra not tuberculate 2. elytra tuberculate, first joint of funiculus very long, ... Teeth separate, elytra with narrow pubescent markings 3. fulvus. ..."
5. Journal of the New York Entomological Society by New York Entomological Society (1899)
"Surface bluish, elytra with scattered small yellow spots ornata. Surface bronzed, elytra with yellow markings. Markings more constant, a lateral transverse ..."
6. Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society by Royal Microscopical Society, London (1882)
"Mr. WA Haswell has investigated the structure and functions of the elytra or scales, the possession of which is one of the most characteristic peculiarities ..."