Definition of Family Fucaceae
1. Noun. Small family of brown algae: gulfweeds; rockweeds.
Generic synonyms: Protoctist Family
Group relationships: Fucales, Order Fucales
Member holonyms: Fucoid, Fucoid Algae, Rockweed, Genus Fucus, Ascophyllum, Genus Ascophyllum, Genus Sargassum
Family Fucaceae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Fucaceae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Fucaceae
Literary usage of Family Fucaceae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Botanical Gazette by University of Chicago, JSTOR (Organization) (1906)
"(WITH PLATES X AND Xl) THE family Fucaceae is less understood than its position and prominence in the Phaeophyceae warrant. Many important types have ..."
2. Studien zur Entwicklungsgeschichte des japanischen Riesensalamanders by Charles Stuart Gager, Daniel Lange (1916)
"Family. Fucaceae. Genus. Fucus. Species. vesiculosus. B. Habitat: 1. Ascertain the habitat of this plant from your reading and class discussions, ..."
3. The Phytologist: A Popular Botanical Miscellany edited by George Luxford, Edward Newman (1851)
"... now consisting of about sixty species, is one of the most natural and most readily distinguished of the family Fucaceae, and that there is no reason to ..."
4. Fertilizer Resources of the United States by United States Dept. of Agriculture, Frank Kenneth Cameron, United States Bureau of Soils (1912)
"It is a brown alga, belonging to the family Fucaceae. It has sexually- produced spores, while those of the kelps are produced asexually. ..."