Definition of Family Lygaeidae
1. Noun. Lygaeid bugs.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Hemiptera, Order Hemiptera
Member holonyms: Lygaeid, Lygaeid Bug, Blissus, Genus Blissus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Lygaeidae
Literary usage of Family Lygaeidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Biological Control of Insects and Mites: An Introduction to Beneficial ...by Daniel L. Mahr, Nino M. Ridgway by Daniel L. Mahr, Nino M. Ridgway (1993)
"... 26 Family Anthocoridae: Minute pirate bugs 26 Family Miridae: Plant bugs 26 Family Reduviidae: Assassin bugs 27 family Lygaeidae: Seed bugs and bigeyed ..."
2. Entomology for Beginners for the Use of Young Folks, Fruit-growers, Farmers by Alpheus Spring Packard (1888)
"family Lygaeidae.—Body ovate or oblong ; head with a pair of distinct ocelli between the eyes ; mostly red and black or black and yellow insects. ..."
3. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1907)
"N. simplex Uhler. Raleigh, February 10, 1906. Several. Family LYGAEIDAE Kirkaldy (=COREIDAE Leth. and Sev.). ..."
4. Applied Entomology; an Introductory Text-book of Insects in Their Relations by Henry Torsey Fernald (1921)
"family Lygaeidae.—There are many kinds of insects in this family but nearly all are small, being in most cases less than a third of an inch long. ..."
5. The Spermatogenesis of Anasa Tristis by Frederick Clark Paulmier (1899)
"... and Lygaeus of the family Lygaeidae. From these observations it appears that there may be a very great difference in details between the various genera ..."