Definition of Family Ophioglossaceae
1. Noun. A family of succulent ferns of order Ophioglossales; cosmopolitan in distribution.
Group relationships: Ophioglossales, Order Ophioglossales
Member holonyms: Genus Ophioglossum, Ophioglossum, Botrychium, Genus Botrychium, Genus Helminthostachys, Helminthostachys
Generic synonyms: Fern Family
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Ophioglossaceae
Literary usage of Family Ophioglossaceae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1896)
"The time of year noted under each species indicates the season at which the spores are mature. Family. OPHIOGLOSSACEAE Presl ..."
2. Journal of Applied Microscopy by Bausch & Lomb Optical Company (1903)
"Family, Ophioglossaceae. This simple fern may be collected in spring and summer in moist meadows and thickets. The entire plant should be dug up and care ..."
3. The Structure and Development of Mosses and Ferns (Archegoniatae). by Douglas Houghton Campbell (1905)
"... The three genera belonging to this order may all be united in a single family, Ophioglossaceae. ..."
4. The Flora of the Palouse Region: Containing Descriptions of All the by Charles Vancouver Piper, Rolla Kent Beattie (1901)
"FAMILY. OPHIOGLOSSACEAE. Characters of the Order.. BOTRYCHIUM. Rootstock very short, with clustered fleshy roots: sterile part of the leaf ternately or ..."
5. Bulletin by Ohio Biological Survey (1913)
"Family, Ophioglossaceae, Adder-tongue Family. Ophioglossum vulgatum L. Adder-tongue. A few plants formerly grew in ..."