Definition of Fancy-dress ball
1. Noun. A ball at which guests wear costumes and masks.
Generic synonyms: Ball, Formal, Mask, Masque, Masquerade, Masquerade Party
Fancy-dress Ball Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Fancy-dress Ball Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fancy-dress Ball
Literary usage of Fancy-dress ball
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reminiscences and Letters of Sir Robert Ball by Robert Stawell Ball (1915)
"... hotel would be glad to welcome the members of the Eclipse Expedition to a fancy dress ball! We thought at the time that a fancy dress entertainment was ..."
2. Society As I Have Found It by Ward MacAllister (1890)
"New Era in New York Society — Extravagance of Living — Grand Fancy Dress Ball in Fifth Avenue — / go as the Lover of Margaret de Valois — A Great Journalist ..."
3. My Recollections (1909)
"CHAPTER IV PRESENTED AT COURT I am presented at Court : A fancy dress ball at Buckingham Palace : Death of my mother : The fortune-teller's prediction ..."
4. The History of Paraguay: With Notes of Personal Observations, and by Charles Ames Washburn (1871)
"The Funeral of Carlos A. Lopez. — Rivalry of his Sons' Mistresses. — A Fancy-Dress Ball. ... FancyDress Ball ..."
5. South America from a Surgeon's Point of View by Franklin Henry Martin (1922)
"Fancy Dress Ball. In the evening we had a fancy dress ball, followed by a dance. We young folks enjoyed it much while the middle aged and older ..."
6. The History of the Administration of the Right Honorable Frederick Temple by William Leggo (1878)
"... 1876—Remarks on the Session of 1876—Grand Fancy Dress Ball, 23rd February, 1876—Visit of their Excellencies to Quebec, June, 1876—Dinner to His ..."