Definition of File cabinet
1. Noun. Office furniture consisting of a container for keeping papers in order.
Specialized synonyms: Card Catalog, Card Catalogue, Card Index, Vertical File
Generic synonyms: Office Furniture
Derivative terms: File, File, File
Definition of File cabinet
1. Noun. (American English) An item of office furniture comprised of a set of either drawers, or shelves with individual doors or panels, sized to standard widths of file folders and traditionally used for the storage of files. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
File Cabinet Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: File Cabinet Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of File Cabinet
Literary usage of File cabinet
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Classified Illustrated Catalog of the Library Bureau ...: A Handbook of by Library Bureau (1894)
"Nothing larger than a 5-file cabinet is made. The 5-file case shown in the cut shows a complete card catalog of 1500 cards, ..."
2. Becoming a Literacy Leader: Supporting Learning and Changeby Jennifer Allen by Jennifer Allen (2006)
"The second file cabinet is devoted to resources related to reading, writing, ... Examples of topic folders in the file cabinet: • Reading Comprehension ..."
3. Popular Mechanics Shop Notes (1919)
"Auto, Preventing Rapid Rusting of Fiber, Bamboo and Sheet, Hollow Drill, for Boring File, Small, Two Handles Used on file cabinet, Revolving, on Double Desk ..."
4. Drug Abuse Curriculum for Employee Assistance Program Professionalsby DIANE Publishing Company by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"The individual staff members using the file cabinet shall be responsible for ... All case files will be left in the same file cabinet, and the cabinet will ..."
5. Detailed Exhibits of the Physical Property and Intangible Values of the by Bion Joseph Arnold, George Weston (1908)
"1 clock 28.00 1 file cabinet 15.00 1 city directory 7.50 1 upright file cabinet and 32 files 60.00 1 high bookkeeper's desk 10.00 2 ink wells and ..."
6. Classified Illustrated Catalog of the Library Department of Library Bureau by Library Bureau Library Dept (1899)
"Regents 5-file cabinet gives capacity for 2000 letters, when filled with 5 L ... R e- gents 12 - file cabinet. Fitted with I lo-sec- tion and I 2-sec- tion ..."
7. Protecting Our Personal Health Information: Privacy In The Electronic Age edited by Bill Frist, Bill First (1997)
"Our family doctor kept handwritten notes about us sealed away in a big file cabinet. Senator Frist, I can still see that file cabinet in my family doctor's ..."