Definition of Food colour
1. Noun. A digestible substance used to give color to food. "Food color made from vegetable dyes"
Generic synonyms: Food Product, Foodstuff
Derivative terms: Color, Colour
Food Colour Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Food Colour Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Food Colour
Literary usage of Food colour
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The British Journal of Psychology by British Psychological Society (1913)
"Subject K. A white screen, occasionally illuminated by the food-colour, red, was before the subject. A definite reflex appeared after 10—15 excitations. ..."
2. American Food and Game Fishes: A Popular Account of All the Species Found in by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1902)
"... occurs in the West Indies, and occasionally north to Florida and the Carolinas. It is common about Cuba and is of some little value as food. Colour ..."
3. The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin (1909)
"... size from the amount of food, colour from the nature of the food, thickness of the skin and hair from climate, etc. Each of the endless variations which ..."
4. The Port Folio by Joseph Dennie (1824)
"From these circumstances, as well as from their colour, they are very generally known, and pass by various names, expressive of their food, colour, ..."
5. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General by Thomas Spencer Baynes (1890)
"The effect on offspring may be definite : eg, size may depend upon the amount of food, colour upon quality of food, thickness of skin and hair upon climate, ..."
6. American Ornithology: Or The Natural History of the Birds of the United States by Alexander Wilson, Charles Lucian Bonaparte, Robert Jameson, George Ord, William Maxwell Hetherington (1831)
"From these circumstances, as well as from their colour, they are very generally known, and pass by various names expressive of their food, colour, ..."