Definition of Galliformes
1. Noun. Pheasants; turkeys; grouse; partridges; quails; chickens; brush turkeys; curassows; hoatzins.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Aves, Class Aves
Member holonyms: Gallinacean, Gallinaceous Bird, Family Meleagrididae, Meleagrididae, Family Tetraonidae, Tetraonidae, Cracidae, Family Cracidae, Family Megapodiidae, Megapodiidae, Family Phasianidae, Phasianidae, Family Opisthocomidae, Opisthocomidae
Medical Definition of Galliformes
1. An order of birds embracing the pheasant, turkey, and chicken. Origin: L. Gallus, a cock, + forma, form (05 Mar 2000)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Galliformes
Literary usage of Galliformes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1897)
"... pale olive or grey, the former markings being on the surface of the shell, the latter beneath. (Cf. Grant, tcp 5.) THE GAME-BIRDS. ORDER galliformes. ..."
2. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederic Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1899)
"galliformes. The galliformes, or Gallinaceous Birds, constitute a large and fairly homogeneous Order, situated between the ..."
3. Vertebrate Zoölogy by Horatio Hackett Newman (1920)
"galliformes " 10. Gruiformes " 11. Charadriiformes LEGION IV. ... instead of next to the galliformes; 2, the penguins are placed among the flightless birds, ..."
4. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1895)
"... as he calls the Tinamous, immediately after the Anseriformes and before the galliformes, giving the following diagnosis :— " Neotropical. ..."
5. Birds' Nests: An Introduction to the Science of Caliology by Charles Dixon (1902)
"Another important assemblage of crude nest- builders is the Game Birds or galliformes, numbering about four hundred species and races. ..."